Sunday, July 10, 2011

Easy-Peasy Dinner!

So remember when I said I needed to find some Simple Dinners- I found another one!  I helped a friend move yesterday and knew I wouldn't have much time to cook dinner so this seemed like a perfect nice to experiment.

 Easy Chicken Burritos
Ingredients:
Chicken tenders
1 C uncooked white rice (you could use brown too, but burritos just seemed better with white)
1 can of Ro-tel
1 can of black beans - rinsed
Lots of cheese
Fresh jalapeno, chopped

First, I seasoned the chicken tenders with a little salt and pepper plus a lot of garlic and onion powders.  A friend suggested to use lime and cilantro too.
I baked the chicken for about 40 minutes (I struggled with over-cooking chicken b/c I'm afraid of under-cooking it)
While the chicken is cooked make the rice (which takes about 25 minutes for white and 40 for brown).
When the rice is cooked transfer it to an 8x8 baking dish
Add the Ro-tel and beans and stir all together
Add some cheese (as much as you'd like) and mix together again
Finally, sprinkle some cheese on top and add the jalapenos
Take the chicken out of the and put the rice and bean mixture in - just to melt the cheese.
Shred the chicken while you wait.
Finally, assemble your burritos. with a scoop of the rice and bean mixture and some chicken
We added some sour cream and salsa but you could put anything in them (lettuce, tomatoes, etc)

It was a really simple dish with limited prep time and it was really yummy! Maybe I'm getting the hand of this easy dinner thing after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment