Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Waffle Debacle!

I'm not much of a breakfast person.  I don't eat traditional breakfasts on a day to day basis and therefore I don't cook breakfast that often.  On top of that, Darrin HATES eggs.  He can't eat them at all.  It's actually a long running joke between us - well actually it's a joke that makes me laugh and makes him roll his eyes!

Now that we're married I like the idea of weekend breakfast together.  We had very generous wedding guests and decided that we would put some of that generosity into a waffle maker!  Darrin really likes waffles and it's a fairly easy Saturday morning breakfast so I was super excited about this purchase.  I did decided to get Belgium Waffle mix instead of making the mix from the recipe that came with the waffle maker - more in effort to save on ingredients than anything else.

I got up yesterday morning super excited to try out our new kitchen tool.  I started cooking up some bacon and mixed my batter.  I read the instructions for the waffle maker three times (my mom was a teacher so I'm very into following rules!).  I measured out the batter perfectly and started making my first waffle.  We got a nice waffle maker with a little light that tells you when your waffle is ready.  When the green light came on this is what I got...
Not how it's meant to look...

...then I realized I left the egg out of the batter!!  Who forgets to add a MAIN INGREDIENT when there are only four you have to worry about in the first place?  The real issue is that I kept trying to remind myself to add it because I somehow knew I would forget!  So I chalked up this disaster to the lack of egg.  I tossed out the first batch and made a second - this time with egg.

Again, I poured the perfectly measured amount into the waffle iron and waited for my little green light.  This is what I got...
Missing a little bit of waffle
...I was very perplexed.  I read the instructions again - it's non-stick so you're not supposed to use cooking spray but that was the only thing I could think of that may fix this issue...and what do you know, it worked!!
So much better
Darrin's yummy plate!

I felt a little wrong not following the instructions, but the waffles turned out perfectly golden brown and delicious!  After adding peanut butter and syrup, Darrin was satisfied with his creation - on the other hand, I'm more of a butter and syrup kinda gal!  It was a really yummy breakfast and I'm looking forward to trying more creative waffles in the future - banana and chocolate waffles anyone?

What's your favorite breakfast food?  If you could have any type of waffle, what would it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment