Monday, May 14, 2012

I Wanted Healthy Muffins

So, again I must say...it's been awhile.  Life has been...well, life has been life.  Living at the beach, April starts the "summer" in my mind, so we've been doing work outside and trying to get our backyard fixed up.  Not an easy task!

We've had some other things going on, but those can be saved for another time!  Now, we must talk MUFFINS!

For those of you who know me, you may know that I am NOT an expert baker.  I consider myself pretty competent in the kitchen and have finally moved away from following a recipe line by line...except when it comes to baking.  I think it's because baking is SO precise and when I'm in the kitchen I like to change things up and try new things.  That said, I have really been wanting to bake recently.

Now, my college BFF is getting married in a few months and we're headed to NOLA in a few weeks for a Bachelorette Party...needless to say, Operation Get Ready for NOLA is in full force and that means lots of healthy eating.  But this weekend I just couldn't take it anymore and decided I had to find something healthy to bake, and BOY DID I!

Healthy Banana Blueberry Oat Muffins
Yields: 12
Weight Watcher Points: 2 each

Ingredients

3 bananas
2 cups of frozen blueberries
1 cup skim milk
1/8 cup Splenda
2 eggs
2 1/2 to 3 cups of quick cook oats (I know, baking is precise but I used three cups and thought it was a bit too much so use discretion!)

Preheat oven to 400

Mash bananas in a mixing bowl

Add the blueberries, skim milk, Splenda and eggs.  Combine well.

Add the oats and mix.  Let stand for about 5 or 6 minutes

Fill tins to the brim and bake for 20-22 minutes (mine was more like 23, but I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with our oven).

Let cool on a wire rack.

Oh My Word, these were good!  A note of caution, these are not very sweet.  If you think that will bother you add 1/4 cup of Spelenda instead of only 1/8.  But honesty, for only 2 Weight Watcher points these were just what the doctor ordered!

They also helped me get over my sadness of some of my new favorite shows being canceled for the 2012 season. Ringer, Secret Circle and ABC's GCBs all bit the dust this May and that news made me very sad, especially because I loved seeing Sarah Michelle Geller back on tv!

So if you decide to try out the muffin recipe, let me know how you liked it.  Also, please feel free to share any healthy baking tips you may have...I'm sure I'll be needing another fix soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment