Wednesday, March 28, 2012

It's Madness!

Can you believe we're in the last week of March?? I know I can't!  Darrin and I celebrated our 6-month anniversary earlier this month and are quickly approaching the 7th month mark!
This was even more fun than it looks!

And along with the first day of spring and the Ides, March also gives us Madness - in the form of college basketball that is!

Now my husband is a HUGE basketball fan!
My hubs is 24!

And he LOVES college sports!
The Duke game we went to a few years ago!
So March is a great month for him!  I've never gotten into the March Madness thing but in the spirit of taking an interest in your spouses hobbies, when I co-worker asked if I wanted to fill out a bracket this year I said sure - what's $10 if it means I care about what my hubby cares about for three weeks!

As a side note, I am currently in third place - and while there is NO CHANCE of me coming in first, I could finish a respectable second!

Anyway, Darrin and I decided that it would be fun to pit our brackets against each other!  Winner gets to decide the activities for an entire Saturday!  And it's gotten even more fun because if Kansas and Kentucky both win this weekend Monday will not only decide the National Champions, but also the winner of our little bet!  (PS. Everyone be pulling for Kentucky - it will make for a much more entertaining blog post!).

And now for a smooth transition...

I made a yummy pasta side this weekend!  It was super simple and pretty tasty.

First, dice one onion and 8oz of mushrooms and add to a skillet with a little bit of olive oil and minced garlic.  I seasoned with "Pasta Sprinkle" from Penzey Spices, but basil, oregano, and thyme would taste the same!

After about 8 minutes, when the veggies are nicely cooked down, add in sliced prosciutto and continue cooking for another few minutes.

Add about 3/4 Tbsp of flour and cook for one minute.  Add 1/2 cup of chicken stock and simmer for a few minute, until the sauce gets slightly thick.

Add in the juice of 1/2 a lemon and as many capers as you'd like (I LOVE THEM so I add a lot).  Add a bit more chicken stock (I did another cup) and simmer about 5 minutes.

Toss with cooked pasta and serve!

We had this with some rotisserie chicken (the rest of which I made a yummy chicken salad with) and asparagus!

So I must know:  Have you been following March Madness?  How's your bracket doing?  What would you make your significant other do for a day if you had that power?

No comments:

Post a Comment