Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Challenge to Start the New Year!

For me, running has always been something I loved when I was stressed, hurt, or upset and something I loathed any other time.

Honestly, get me all fired up about something and I can take off and run forever.  But the idea of just throwing on a pair of running shoes and hitting the pavement and I shut down (I mean I practically go fetal!). 

And that stinks because I really like the benefits of running, lots of toning and not too much bulking up plus, it's way better cardio than an elliptical in my opinion.  I like being outside and not feeling confined and not having a gym full of people watching you.  And honestly, once I start running I'm fine.  I just have a hard time lacing up my Nike's and getting out of the house (Maybe I should move the couch and DVR AWAY from the front door?  Less of chance of a detour...Hmmmm...).

Anyway, I decided that I wanted to start running again.  NOT as a New Year Resolution because we all know how well those turn out, but just because.  I needed motivation.  I needed accountability.  And I needed a challenge.  So I asked a co-worker if she wanted to run a 5K with me.  Now it's been awhile since I went running (like almost a year) so I'm going to need to do a little, okay who are we kidding, a LOT of training. The first 5K we found is at the beginning of February and not NEARLY enough time for me.  We're looking at March though, which seems far enough away to be plausible and not so far away that I'll lose my motivation. 

So I'm hoping that having a goal that involves some sort of competition will be enough to get my bum off of the couch (thank goodness I'm not really feeling Ben this season and The Bachelor has way less of hold on me than before!) and onto the street!  We're about six weeks out - keep checking back to see if survive or if the running gets one over on me!

Any tips as I start "training" for the 5K?  When is the last time you gave yourself a deadline to accomplish a fitness goal?  Did it work?

No comments:

Post a Comment