Sunday, January 15, 2012

What I Saved!

As promised here is the weekend update of my couponing.  I have to admit, I am really getting the hang of this.

First, here's a look at a few of the things I was able to get this weekend:
Saturday CVS trip
Just some of what I was able to get at Harris Teeter

I was able to get some really great deals this weekend.  As you can tell from the first photo I picked up 9 boxes of hair color.  Now I'm sure you're wondering what I'm going to do with NINE boxes of hair color - I'm donating them to a local women's organization.  I know it seems silly, but sometimes it's important for women to be able to do a little something for themselves.  I made money on them ($10 in ECB) and get to do something nice - that's a great afternoon of couponing!

Harris Teeter was super successful for me today.  Here are few of the items I was able to pick up:
Italian Turkey Sausage
Ground turkey
Harris Teeter fresh soups (I got four because they freeze really well)
Frozen Veggies (2 bags)
Grands Biscuts (4)
Tuna (2)
Shredded Kraft Cheese (4)
Cereal - Fiber One and Peanut Butter MultiGrain Cheerios (5 boxes)
Fiber One Bars (2 boxes)
Coffee Cream (2 bottles)
Ortega Taco Seasoning (4 packets)
Fruits and Veggies (Apples, bananas, potatoes, brocolli, kale)
Canned goods (Bean, corn, tomatoes, enchilada sauce)
Finish Dishwasher Tabs (2 boxes)
Greek Yougurt (4)

I also made one final run to CVS to scoop up some deals from the new ad and walked out with 3 Valentine's day cards for our nephews and niece (I need to get more, but that was a start), two replacement heads for my toothbrush, and two packs of gum.  I only spent $1.05 that trip and made $5 in ECB.

So my final total for the weekend was $248.38 worth of products and an out of pocket total of $59.02. I was able to save 76% this weekend and come in WAY under budget for the week!

Hopefully as you read this you're seeing how GREAT couponing can be and are maybe thinking about trying it.  Organization is key so I wanted to share a few tips with you as you're getting started. 

Tip 1: Don't clip every coupon that comes in your paper.  I keep each week paper clipped together with the date it was issued and keep them in an accordion file.  It's a huge time saver.  I only print Internet coupons if I'm going to use them, or if I know they will go fast.  Tip 3 is great for storing the printable coupons you can't pass up.
Making sure the date is on the front is such a time-saver.  I also keep my P&G separate each month.
Tip 2: Get organized before you go.  Like I said before, I have my few favorite couponing sites and before I head out each weekend I come up with a game plan and a list.  I know almost down to the penny what I should be spending each week.

Tip 3:  Stay organized at that store.  You have to have a system for when you are at the store.  My mom got me this super cute binder for Christmas and I have it divided into 7 categories: Frozen, Meat, Dairy, Cold, General Items, Household, and Health and Beauty.  As I put something in my cart, I grab that coupon and put it in a plain envelope.  When I get to the cashier I have everything ready to go and checking out is a breeze!


As I learn more I will try and share everything I find helpful with you here.  If you have any questions go ahead and leave a comment or send me an email or message on Facebook.  I'd love to help you start saving money!

Have any of you taken a stab at couponing?  How's it going?  I'd love to hear how you're liking and about all the money you're saving!

No comments:

Post a Comment