Sunday, January 29, 2012

What I Saved: Always check your receipt

This was a great weekend for coupons in the Overholt house!  Harris Teeter has some amazing deals and they worked nicely with coupons from this week and weeks past!

I start my Sunday's by hitting up Books a Million and grabbing a few Raleigh News and Observer papers.  The coupons are almost always better than our local paper. (Hint: Buy the largest city's paper in your area)  With that in mind, the papers sell out FAST everywhere around town.  I was in line this morning by 9:40 am for a 10:00 am store opening...and I was the 6th person in line!
Fellow couponers!
By 10:09 they were completely sold out.  Over half the people in line didn't get a paper.  I felt bad but also realized that I'll need to get there even earlier next weekend!  It's a fun experience though, you start to become friendly with the other people in line since you see them on a weekly basis!

This weekend my shopping actually started on Saturday.  I picked up Tide for $1.47 at Harris Teeter and then got 5 Healthy Choice meals for $4.75 at Target.

My trips today were also equally productive.  I picked up three more cards at CVS and MADE MONEY.  Plus I got all this at HT:
I also picked up meat and produce but had already put those items away.

Finally, I just made another CVS run where I picked up 6 deodorants, one body wash and a Cadbury chocolate egg and only paid the $1.05 sales tax...and they gave me $6.87 back in ECB!

My total numbers for this weekend look like this:
Total value: $255.99
Total spent (not including sales tax and including ECB's earned): 34.99
% saved: 86% - MY BEST WEEK YET!

Now, as far as the "always check your receipt..."  I got home from Harris Teeter today and while I was putting everything away I realized I didn't have the apples I bought.  I wanted to make sure I wasn't charged for them so I went to grab my receipt.  I always know what my total should be, and I thought everything seemed right in the store so I figured I got charged but they didn't end up in my bags.  I was wrong.  I didn't get charged for the apples, but the reason my bill seemed okay was because I got double charged for bread!

It was only a few dollars, but I figured I still needed apples, so what the heck, lets make another Harris Teeter trip!  I have to give a shout out to the staff at my HT, they are amazing!  The manager refunded my money and, because I had to make a second trip, gave me my apples for free!  I'm sure it was only like $2.00, but I thought it was really sweet of her!


Does your grocery store go above and beyond?  Any register errors you've been able to catch?

Check back this week for an update on this bad boy...it's almost done!

No comments:

Post a Comment