Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Different Kind of Pasta

We love pasta!  I'm not sure that was loud enough, so let me try it again...WE LOVE PASTA!

Growing up in an Italian family pasta was a staple food and every common meal.  I remember eating sauce - or gravy if you're aiming for authenticity - off the stove with a spoon while my mom was cooking it (an all day process in our house!). 

I love sauce (and must admit my recipe is pretty darn good), but there are so many things you can do with pasta that does not include a meaty red sauce!  

I decided to try something new a few nights ago and it turned out really well so I wanted to share it with all of you.


Pasta with Sausage, White Beans and Kale
1lb of ground sausage (I'd typically use chicken sausage but the store was out so I used turkey)
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can of cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
1 cups of kale, chopped
2 cups of chicken stock
Crushed red pepper, to taste
8 oz of pasta (I used whole wheat angel hair), cooked and drained
Mozzarella or Parmesan cheese, to top


Brown sausage in a skillet with a little bit of olive oil
When almost cooked, add in onions and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes

Add in white beans and cook another minute or two
Make sure they're rinsed good!

Add chicken stock and red pepper flakes (if using) and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes
Add kale to skillet and cook until wilted
I just tear the kale into bite size pieces
Season with salt and pepper, to taste
Reduce heat and simmer for about 4 or 5 minutes
Add to bowl with cooked pasta and toss with a little bit of cheese
Our plates topped with a little bit of cheese

We really liked this dish.  It's full of fiber and really good.  I would probably have added 1 cup of white white after the beans and then about 30 seconds later or so added just 1 cup of chicken stock but I didn't have any white wine.  


Do you have any favorite pasta dishes?  Did you grow up with a particular style of cooking?

No comments:

Post a Comment