Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Poor Baby!

Darrin and I haven't been blessed with children yet (Sorry Mom!) but we have been blessed with three very sweet four-legged children. 
Little Girl and Sammy on Halloween a few years ago!

In case you can't tell from the interesting (?) picture above, Little Girl is a Beagle/Hound mix and Sammy is a Chihuahua/Min Pin mix.  Chewy is a very large Flat-coated Retriever. 

I've had Sammy since he was a puppy and he is a total mama's boy.

Little Girl was a rescue dog I fostered that weighed 17 pounds when they found her (she's 40 pounds now - shhhh, don't tell her I told you!).  I decided to adopt her when she started sleeping in bed with me and wrapping her paws around me at night.
 
Darrin got Chewy when he was a puppy from a shelter and only hours away from being put to sleep.
That said, our dogs are like our children (and I know my friends that have real children think I'm nuts when I say that, but honestly, they are a big part of our family!). 

And that's why when I woke up a few mornings ago and found little girl with blood on her chin but no obvious cuts I got a little nervous.  Little Girl jumped the fence in the back yard once and cut her shoulder pretty bad (I have photos but decided to spare my loyal readers - HI MOM!).  I was nervous she did something like that again, but all I could find was a raw-looking spot on her belly. 

I called the vet and brought her in that afternoon.  I'm pretty sure they think I'm a little over the top, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.  The vet we saw was wonderful!  She did a comprehensive exam (she was new and hadn't seen LG before) and after looking at LG's medical history - she has really bad ear allergies and constantly has to have that taken care of - decided that my poor little baby has very bad allergies and probably got bit by a bug.  With allergies as bad as she thinks LG has she said that it's not a surprise she was licking herself raw. 

My sick little lady at the vet!
She prescribed a half steroid, half antihistamine pill for her and we were on our way.  I'm pretty sure her medicine costs more than anything I have even taken, but this little lady is more than worth it!  It seems to be working, she is scratching and licking that spot much less and that makes me one happy doggie mommy!

Do you have any pets?  Are you a dog person or a cat person?  What's the "craziest" thing you've ever done for your dog?

I'm making my weekly CVS and Harris Teeter trip this weekend with lots of great coupons so check back tomorrow night to see how I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment