Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup

As I'm sure you know by now, we are BIG fans of the slow cooker!  It's a life saver on those nights when Darrin has to be somewhere by 6:30 and I don't get home from work until close to 6.

We also love Mexican.  I do a lot of chili (which I know isn't Mexican but it has a similar flavors and can be made pretty spicy).  I needed some new Mexican-inspired slow cooker meals.  I browsed a lot of site and finally came up with a combination of about 10 different recipes.

Ingredients:
1 lb of ground meat (typically I'd use ground chicken but I went with ground turkey this time)
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of corn, drained
2 cans of stewed Mexican tomatoes
3 10oz cans of enchilada sauce
Homemade chips (see below)
Cheese, jalapenos and sour cream for topping

Cook the meat in a skillet until browned

Add meat, beans, corn, tomatoes and enchilada sauce to the slow cooker, stir to combine
Cook on low for 8 hours
(See, SO simple!)

I also make homemade chips.  They are way healthier and I like them a lot better.  I buy the taco size corn tortillas and cut them into 8 wedges each.  I typically cut up about five for one meal.  Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil and arrange the 'chips'.
These are so yummy!
Spray a little bit of olive oil cooking spray and top with some salt.  If you like flavored chips you can also add a little garlic powder or cumin or whatever else you'd like.  Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 10 minutes.  Word of warning, once they start to crisp up they go from cooked to burned REALLY fast so keep an eye on them after the 9 minute mark.

We topped our soup with cheese, jalapenos and sour cream and it was so good!
Easy and healthy...can't beat that!
Plus, we had enough for leftovers the next night!

I feel like we've been doing a lot of soup recently.  Does the weather inspire your cooking?  Any good soup recipes?  

No comments:

Post a Comment