Thursday, February 2, 2012

And It's Done!

So a few weeks back I mentioned my plans to paint a dresser we had in our garage.

Darrin had this piece of furniture before we got married and it's a nice piece...it just did NOT go with our house.

He wanted to keep it though.  And since I take up almost all of the closet and drawer space in our bedroom I realized he had a point (SHHHHH, don't tell him I said that!)

I was going for a shabby chic look and it was a surprisingly easy project and VERY inexpensive.

I started with the doors:
The design work was the hardest thing to clean!
I removed them, took off the hardware, cleaned them pretty well and sanded them just a little with fine sandpaper.

Then I took them outside and SPRAY PAINTED them.  Yep, that's right, I used spray paint.  It was so easy and it really let me achieve the distressed look I was going for.

From there it was a breeze.  I did all three drawers next.  Again, removing the hardware, cleaning them and doing a bit of sanding. Then just spraying on the paint.


Finally we took the base outside and after cleaning and sanding I started painting.  I wanted to make sure I really achieved the distressed look on the main part of the dresser so I took a little bit more time, but not that much.

When all of the pieces were finished and starting to dry I started working on the hardware.  Honestly, this was the hardest part.  The pulls are brass and difficult to get the paint to stick. I used spray paint intended for all types of material but I couldn't get it to stick that well.  I ended up with a very blue hand!

After a full night of drying we were able to put all the pieces back together.  Take a look at the finished product!
The finished product


I'm really pleased with the way this project turned out!  Honestly, while it took me two weekends to get this finished I really only spent about an hour and half total on everything and the total cost was about $15!

Up next...a cafe curtain for the kitchen window!

Any fun projects you've been working on around your house?  Anything you've been putting off? 

No comments:

Post a Comment