Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Break From the Scissors and A Tasty Dinner

No, I'm not giving up couponing, I just feel like that is ALL I've talked about on this blog recently.  I never intended for this to turn into a coupon blog - there are already so many great ones out there and I don't think I can compete!

So, sorry to all of those I have bored with my % saved and my grocery trips for the past few weeks.  I'll start talking about fun stuff again, I promise!

My wonderful mother got me a subscription to Rachel Ray's Everyday Magazine for Christmas this year!
My Mommy and Me in Vegas a few years ago!
Note to self: You know you're a married woman when you're asking for magazines about food/cooking/etc for Christmas!

I've already gotten my first two subscriptions and I LOVE IT!
I really want to bake cookies every time I read this issue!
Confession time: I am currently seeking treatment for a DINNER RUT.  I was starting to DREAD menu planning for the week.  In my mind I was cooking the same thing over and over!  Darrin didn't seem to mind, although I'm pretty sure he'd eat the same thing every night if I cooked it, just to make me happy!
He's so good to me!
I decided it was time for a change!  So after much blog reading, magazine scouring, and soul searching...okay, maybe that's taking it a bit too far...but anyway, I started feeling pretty adventurous and have started cooking outside of my comfort zone.  And man am I digging it!  This little Italian girl is backing away from pasta and sauce and embracing some new things.

I really like the following recipe and hope you all do to.


Glazed Pork Loin with Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes (Everyday by Rachel Ray - December 2011 issue)
Serves 4, Prep 15 minutes, Cooks in 50 minutes
Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs pork loin, tied
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp grainy mustard
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 lb brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
thyme
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 bear, cut into chunks

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Season the pork all over with salt and pepper and place in the center of a roasting pan.

In a small bowl, stir together the mustard, vinegar and brown sugar and brush over the pork.  Scatter the brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes and thyme around the pork.  Sprinkle with oil, any remaining mustard mixture and salt and pepper.  Stir to coat.


Place and oven and roast, tossing the veggies occasionally until they are almost tender - about 30 minutes. (At this point the recipes says if the veggies stick add 2 tbsp of water, but I didn't have that issue).

Stir in the pear and roast until the veggies are tender and the pork is at 150 degrees (about 15 minutes).
Let the roast sit for 5 minutes, then thinly slice and serve with the veggies.
I served with extra mustard for dipping!

If you're looking for something really good and pretty easy, I highly suggest giving this a try.  Lots of veggies and lean pork make it a pretty healthy meal!


What's your favorite pork recipe?  Have you ever been in a "food rut?"

No comments:

Post a Comment