Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cold Day, Hot Soup

First, I use the word, "cold," very VERY loosely.  Living at the beach where it typically doesn't drop below 50 degrees I can't really complain...and yet, I still do...anytime it get below 60 that is!
We lead a rough life!

I'm am slowly turning into a Southern Belle...wait, no...a Southern GIRL!  A few things that living down here means though is that there is a limited time when wearing turtleneck sweaters is appropriate and soup is not as widely sold in restaurants as it is in the 'burgh and other Yankee cities!

I've found a few recipes lately that I really like.  Like I said before, I'm really digging my Everyday by Rachel Ray subscription.  Below is another winner from her December 2011 issue that I've modified a little.  It's perfect for a cold (or if you live at the beach, cold-ISH) day!

Cheesy Chicken-Potato Soup (Everyday by Rachel Ray - December 2011 issue) MODIFIED
Serves 4, Prep 5 minutes, Cooks in 20 minutes
Ingredients:
3 tbsp butter
2 cups leeks, chopped (white parts only)
1 1/2 lbs of red potatoes, halved or quartered depending on size
1 qt chicken broth
1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (this made it SO easy)
7 oz of shredded cheddar
4 tbsp of sour cream
Red pepper flakes

Prep your potatoes and leeks

In pot, melt butter over medium heat; cook leeks 2 minutes
Add potatoes and cook 5 minutes
Add broth; bring to a boil.  Simmer until potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
I always use granules instead of buying stock!
Remove one-third of the potatoes, reserve.
Puree remaining soup with 1 cup water (this part was tricky b/c my food processor was not big enough)
Stir in chicken, reserved potatoes, cheese and sour cream and red pepper flakes (to taste)


Serve topped with a little more sour cream, if you'd like

This was pretty easy and came out really well.  It would be really quick for lunch on a winter day.


Can you eat soup in warm weather?  What's your favorite cold weather food?

No comments:

Post a Comment